Monday 26 March 2012

Time for 2nd one tomorrow!

Well as the title says, it is time for a skype interview tomorrow.  I was very happy they could offer skype considering I'd have to borrow someone's car (and there is a limited amount of people here I know that I could ask that of - a neighbour and a colleague) and then take more time off to get there.  Now it doesn't really conflict with anything.  This one is closer to where John goes to school, but not a permanent position, but it is a 1 year position.  Granted, getting experience is always a beginning.

We have started to talk about our worries and the "what if I don't get anything permanent" senario.  We have decided to give it a chance until February and if it doesn't work out that I can get any permanent position, we will then have to consider going back.

I can't admit I'm fully happy doing what I have to do now, unless I could use my "crystal ball" as someone on the forum once said and see what the future holds.  It's cold in the house unless it's been sunny in the day and my days consist of counting the days from when John leaves until John gets home.  I count the hours at work until I'm done and worry everytime I get called in if they're letting me go due to financial reasons they're having.  Lucky for me I'm not one they are letting go and I'm very grateful for that.  I didn't know until it was a possibility exactly how grateful I was.  I suppose we were aware compared to Sweden that the job security here isn't as good, but seeing where I am now, it's scary how bad the job security is.

I suppose looking back we were very very spoiled in Sweden with very well built houses and apartments, great job security, wonderful parental leave (though that's not something we need to worry about), much better pay (though that doesn't bother - at least not if I'm teaching) and just in general the safety net.  Now I can't say much yet about New Zealand since my days only consist of working and evenings consist of looking for a school who would like an eager, hard-working, wonderful teacher!  I have applied to literally everything (no exageration) that is permanent and primary over the entire country this past weekend.  Now people says it's not the right time to look.  Well I have to start to look and there are positions out there.  It's just a matter of them wanting or not wanting me. 

I honestly can't wait to get something permanent so I know I can plan for being there because then I can also plan for living here!  Once that happens we then plan to tour and see this country we were so eager to move to.  We know there are so many beautiful places to visit, but any money we make we save for the possibility of having to drive to in case I get called for an interview.

Now my fingers are crossed for tomorrow because at least that would be a start.  I have my long distance cousin in Auckland praying for me (also a teacher) so it was nice to have a chat with her to get some advice.  She is working & living where I'd love to be.  Well with John in Palmy is my first choice, but 2nd choice is Auckland because there is a university there and John could transfer there.  We still haven't heard anything from Denmark and whether they are going to pay him to study here.  It would be a nice bit of money to help towards his school if they say yes.  It might also allow extra funding for me to stop and do subbing until I got a permanent position if I can't get anything.  Maybe I'm just not being patient enough, but I feel I've had enough holidays now at the daycare and want to get back into what I love doing and what I do best.  It's strange not using my evenings to plan.  I actually like planning!  Well it is nice having this extra free time, but still I'd rather teach.

I've started to look into seeing if someone has a room to rent in this area so then I could use the car and go to Palmy on weekends instead of us living here.  Apparently though this is the wrong area to do this in since people don't rent as it's all Army subsidised living.  Of course it is.  Anything to make my daily life easier is just not happening right now.  We had a lovely little mouse living in our house.  The little thing just couldn't help but make his markings and then had the nerve to eat everything off our traps without setting them off!  Well we caught him 2nd time around and so far no sign of more. Phew it seems it was just the one (knock on wood!).  Ok, so a mouse might not seem like a big deal to you.  Well let me tell you.  I haven't had to deal with them since I was a child.  So I'm not used to taking care of them as an adult either.  I even considered getting a cat and let me tell you I am not a huge fan of cats since I'm afraid of their claws.  No, really, I didn't plan on getting a cat, but I did ponder the thought for all of 10 seconds. 

Oh did I mention the dead bird in our "chippy" (the little stove in the kitchen).  Oh yes and I most likely didn't mention the day I came home to literally a hundred flies swarming in my kitchen since it was a hot day and the crock pot was on.  Well they say this is normal here.  I kept saying the amount of flies I have was not normal, but nope, no one would come check it out until I investigated.  Well, not being a house owner, nor a farmer, nor a person really with anything to do in nature (well I do love camping, but still wouldn't consider myself any expert), what did they really want me to investigate?!  Well maybe it was the dead bird I found a month later in the chippy that I mentioned in my first sentence?  Not sure and don't think it was that, but you never know since I've no idea how long it was there. 

Now I'm off to sleep now that I've put my frustrations down on the web.  At least I can get a giggle out of my story as I write it.  I should probably say in all of this that John loves it here and he'd probably love it more if I was doing something I liked.  I know he worries because of me and the getting a job part.  I promise if I get a permanent job in teaching, I won't complain.  :p

No comments:

Post a Comment