Friday 30 March 2012

Wow, wow and wow!

Ok, so I had the skype interview and hung up feeling very sad thinking I didn't feel it went as well as I hoped.  First when I turned on skype I had myself by the window for light and of course it was too shiny in the camera so I quickly had to try move so it was clearer (stressful).  Apparently there were a ton of people in the room, but only the principal carried out the skype interview, but everyone else could see me on a screen.  Then they got straight to the core questions.  Wow I felt overwhelmed and wasn't sure I was answering them properly.  It was a lot about how I teach and the NZ curriculum.  Now I couldn't explain of course fully I felt about the NZ curriculum having not worked with it, but I had read up on it and in detail what I would have been required to teach.  I was able to apply how I have worked and will work as a teacher and that was how I answered the questions - all honestly. 

Well it turned out they called my references in Sweden (very impressive they managed to figure out the time difference as I'm still struggling with it myself) and checked with two I believe.  I then got a phone call the next day offering me the position!!!  I couldn't believe it.  They said they were impressed with my interview and I was highly recommended.  I am going to do a great job and make them want to keep me now :p  It's only a 1 year fixed term as they call it.  The teacher I am taking over for is getting 1 year off so I will be taking her position. 

I begin in 3 weeks.  I told the daycare I will be leaving and they took it well.  I was a bit worried.  Originally the plan was for me to stay until I got my passport back from immigration, but this was simply too difficult to do.  It wasn't a field for me and I was very unhappy.  My 3 months is up April 12th.  John will go into Palmy immigration on the 16th with the letter and then I just need to hope my passport gets sent back to us with the restriction removed.

We have in the meantime decided that if I don't get anything permanent by Feb. 2013, then we will aim to go back to Sweden.  I have my job held for me there and my apartment, but hopefully now that I have a job, something permanent comes up later, we can begin to enjoy NZ and we can stay here.  I don't have that feeling yet, but only due to the hectic start and not having been able to really enjoy it here quite yet.

We are trying to decide our living arrangement, whether I move into the room he is renting at Palmy, storing our stuff at our neighbours house until we decide what to do or if we take the chance and rent our own apt. at Palmy and move our stuff to that place rather than having to move everything twice.  The problem is we have some heavy things that won't be able to be lifted without help, which makes it difficult to ask for help 2x to move the heavy things.  I suggested asking our neighbour to help with the heavy things until we can decide properly, but it does make more sense to get an apartment, pay someone to help us move and do it once without imposing on our neighbours either.  They have been wonderful and supportive to me while here.

At least with this position, John and I can live under the same roof.  We've pretty much decided that I will travel to school everyday by car.  It's a one hour drive, but I'd rather live in Palmy in the city that another town like we're in now.  Also, considering it's not a permanent job, for me it feels silly to choose that area to live in.  So it might be an early start to my morning since I think it opens at 7.30, but it'll be fine. 

So that's my newest news and I feel very happy and proud I got chosen!  I'm off to see the school on Monday as I'm invited for morning tea and I told the daycare that I need the morning off, but I'll be in by lunchtime.   Off to start breakfast and packing for the day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment