Thursday 28 July 2011

Well.... the inevitable happened

We received our case worker and it wasn't long before we were told our points don't match up.  I do not have an Early Childhood degree or Early Childhood working experience, therefore, I cannot claim the bonus points and we don't have enough points without a job offer to get a visa to New Zealand.  We are now being given until the end of August to obtain a job offer or get declined officially.  I have sent my cv around the entire of New Zealand to those looking for teachers and those who are not in the hopes someone will want me.  I'm following up on old leads explaining the situation.  I've also offered to start work if need be immediately and I've no idea realistically how that will work with my current employer.  I do plan to talk to them if I get an offer and I have a solution - doesn't mean they will like it, but any chance of employment gets us the visa and I can't turn it down.

The other option we are looking at right now is OH applying for a student visa which is going to cost a fortune.  Not the visa itself is the cost, but having to prove we have the funds for living and pay the first year of university at international costs which are a fortune.  We can do it, it's not fully impossible, but takes away our safety net of savings we have built up the past three and a half years.  I would expect to get a job once there, dropping OH down to domestic fees for second year.  The main problem with this is I would have to ask for time off in the middle of the year from my job, but I suppose I'm at least following my contract and they will get their minimum three months notice.  We're just very worried since we can't get an answer from immigration how much we need to prove we actually have.  OH is also very hesistant to apply for this visa at all since it's simply too much money.

I will keep applying for jobs in the meantime and hope someone wants to meet me before I have to go back to work, otherwise, our dream will have to lie on ice permanently it feels like.  So I am so sad and this is all I can think of.  I think we've exhausted every possible option we have and can afford.

2 comments:

  1. Don't give up! If you really want to move there this must be happen!
    Nothing is impossible. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) Very nice to read!

    ReplyDelete